May 30th, 2004 until August 30th, 2004
May 30 – August 30, 2004
Westport by the Sea highlighted the town’s seaside treasures – Longshore Country Club, Compo Beach, Old Mill Beach and Compo Cove, Sherwood Island State Park, Burying Hill Park and Beachside Avenue.
Curated by Town Historian Allen Raymond, the exhibit featured the history of each exquisite site, complimented by old photographs from the WHS archives. Paintings, including one of Allen’s Clam House by Howard Heath, are on loan from the Westport Schools Permanent Art Collection. Additional artworks by local artists Hardie Gramatky, Howard Munce, Robert Lambdin and Ward Brackett, among them, will be on view.
Since his arrival in Westport in 1973, photographer Larry Silver has documented Westport’s changing beach scene. Selections from his vast black and white collection will be a part of this exhibit, in addition to Peter Barlow’s study of Bell Light #24 off Cockenoe Island and a selection of Andrea Maritzer Fine’s seasonal beach scenes.
A beach exhibit must include a selection of beachwear and Westport by the Sea featured swimming costumes and summer clothing from the Society’s Betty Sheffer Costume Collection, and memorabilia from the Adirondack-style Log Chalets originally built at Longshore by Col. Patrick Powers in 1930.
Of special appeal to children was the exhibit of lost items discovered when sweeping the beach with a metal detector. Visitors who close their eyes will think they might be at the beach as they hear those sounds heard so often down by the water – a special work of WHS member Martin West, producer of the A Gathering of Glory! documentary.