Miniatures Donated to WHS

COLLECTOR DONATES MINIATURES TO WESTPORT HISTORICAL SOCIETY

 As a farewell gift to Westport, departing 34-year resident, Fay Wright, a longtime connoisseur, collector and designer of miniature houses, donated 2 beautiful and finely- crafted miniatures which are on display at the Westport Historical Society.  On the WHS 2009 Holiday House Tour, ticketholders visited Wright’s Westport home and were treated to a “tour within a tour” of her extensive collection of impeccable miniature houses.

The first miniature (shown above) is a larger structure of a 19th Century Colonial, which was purchased from the Margaret Strong Museum in Rochester, NY, which is a collections based not-for-profit and houses the world’s most comprehensive collection of historical materials related to play.  This white wood house with gray trim and of 2 stories has 6 rooms.  When this miniature was purchased, the rooms were wall papered but void of any furnishings.  Wright added antique lace that she collects for window treatments and furnished each of the rooms in period antiques. 

The second miniature (shown below) is an award winning “Colonial Bedroom-circa 1900”.  This ornate and fine masterwork, entirely designed, built and decorated by Wright, received national recognition in 1999 from “Miniature Collector Magazine”.  Authentic materials, in miniature, include a coffered ceiling, colonial brass chandelier, a silver headboard, an oil painting on ivory, and-on the gable-a carved ivory medallion.

Donor: Fay Wright, Past President: Dorothy Curran, Director: Susan Gold

 

According to Collections Director, Barbara Van Orden, the donated work will now be on display in the WHS Museum’s second floor.