61 Compo Road North

Tracy Mendez Eager and Ron Eagar are honoring Westport’s heritage by displaying a Westport Historical Society plaque identifying their home at 61 Compo Road North as the Daniel Andrews house which was built in c.1830. The house was originally built at Post Road East and East Main Street in c.1830 by Daniel Andrews, a shoemaker, and was moved to its current location by Lucy R. Gorham about 1953. The Eagars moved from San Jose, Calif. to Westport in 2002 and bought this house since they “loved the six-inch pine plank floors, the double veranda, the enclosed sleeping porches and great stone work.” They were told that the house was part of the Underground Railroad and has nifty hidden entrances to what might have been the hideout.   Bob Weingarten for WestportNow.com