2 Washington Ave.

Sheila and Todd Keenan are honoring Westport’s heritage by displaying a Westport Historical Society plaque identifying their 2 Washington Ave. house they restored as the Richard Winslow upper “gate house” which was built in c.1855.  Winslow purchased 18½ acres of land from Benjamin L. Waite and proceeded to build the Winslow mansion at the location of the current Winslow Park in 1853. Several years later, he constructed two gate houses for his estate, the one at 2 Washington Ave. and the other on Evergreen Avenue. Sheila, a Realtor in Westport with KMS Partners – Riverside Coldwell Banker, and her husband, a lawyer and a builder, have restored and lived in several antique houses in Westport since moving here in 1963. The Keenans believe that by restoring antique houses, “We leave a legacy to future generations.” The house received a Westport Historic District Preservation Award in 2008. Bob Weingarten for WestportNow.com