167A Compo Road South

Melissa Yurechko and her husband Tim are honoring Westport’s heritage by displaying a Westport Historical Society plaque identifying their home at 167A Compo Road South as the Henry Raleigh Studio which was built in 1913.  Raleigh (1880-1944) used this house as his studio while living with his wife at 181 Compo Road South. Raleigh was a noted magazine illustrator with four decades of contributions for various publications including Harper’s Bazaar, The Saturday Evening Post and Collier’s. In 1959, the studio was purchased by writers John and Dorothy Tarrant who collaborated on “A Community of Artists,” which chronicles Westport’s flourishing artist colony. The Yurechkos moved to Westport several years ago after living in other antique houses in Connecticut. They decided to purchase their current home because of the “location, privacy and charm of the house.” They welcome recent increased efforts to enhance the antique character of Westport and say, “Keep up the good work.”   Bob Weingarten for WestportNow.com